Sunday, June 21, 2009

Autism - Sunflower

Dedicated to Miss Kathleen (xoxo)
The school year is at an end. I usually don't have trouble overextending myself in gratitude to the team of school personnel that have worked with my son. This year is a little different. My heart isn't in the same place as previous years and I struggle to find the right words (or any words for that matter) to express appreciation for their guidance. There hasn't been all that much. The team involvement was not what I had hoped for at the beginning of the year (see post from September's http://www.pressdough.blogspot.com) . I must emphasize that my distant feelings are not meant for all of my son's assistance (his paraprofessional and physical therapists are fabulous).

To the individuals who have dedicated themselves to my son and to me are, I have to thank you from the depths of my heart and soul. I leave you with a poem (or whatever you would like to call it as I am no poet) I wrote about our angel on top:
Radiant Sunflower
Seedling
Roots tangled
Dirt unsettled
Struggles to break the barrier
Breaks through with unnoticeable difference
Additional water, sun, nurturing and love required
Inconvenient with an unfamiliar amazement
Greenery begin to show
Setbacks endured
Watch with anticipation
Watch with hope
Blossoming with its uniqueness
Bursting with beauty
Earning each petal, one by one
The core so strong
A sunflower emerges despite itself
Character created
Never defeated
Radiant

Special education teachers, paraprofessionals, physical therapists, speech pathologists, occupational and social skill therapists, adapted physical education instructors and mainstream teachers working with inclusion:
Please keep your dedication to our children, try not to be afraid of becoming emotionally invested, stay true to what you know is right for the child and know how much you mean to us (the families). Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment