Thursday, August 13, 2009

Teen Choice Awards & Autism Awareness


A few days ago I turned on (the TV t0) the Teen Choice Awards. Clueless as to who many of the stars were, I watched intently hoping to get caught up with the pulse of today's young (tween and teen) population. I am still a bit confused by the popularity of some of the presenters, but I couldn't deny them all my admiration for achieving so much, so young. They are a dedicated bunch.

As I watched the Jonas Brothers as presenters, Miley Cyrus as Miley Cyrus (ask a teen to explain), Zac Efron beat out by Rob Pattinson (no surprise there), Megan Fox as a female "hottie"(no idea who she is), and the show revolve around the cast of Twilight, I realized that these are the stars that need to promote awareness for autism. Their fan base are the people who need to be aware because they may have a peer in school with autism. Here's the thing, these young kids need to be "super" aware. They need to know how a person with autism feels or acts in terms of socializing and acceptance. What better way to get the attention of this population than to promote these messages through one of the Teen Choice idols. Any message delivered through a teen idol such as Nick Jonas (or any of the above mentioned) is sure to be received in full. Does anyone know the publicists of these ambitious stars?

I can't help but try. My son, and the autistic community he is a part of, is worth my effort. This is a tall order but if I don't try, I know that the awareness to this target audience will be lost for now. No matter what, I maintain such optimism for the "unreachable". I'm not sure why. I do know that if I don't ask, I won't know. And that is the question:

How do we (the autism community) snag one of these Teen Choice personalities to take on our cause?

We need connections and luck. For now, I twitter and cross my fingers....

No comments:

Post a Comment