Saturday, January 2, 2010

Savor Each Syllable #1

The New Year has arrived and I can't be happier. Why? For the most part, the holidays are over! I tried to be that little elf that bakes cookies, wraps presents, and hosts holiday festivities, all the while caroling to the tunes of the season. The truth is, it was too much. As fast as I tried to work, I still ran out of time. Christmas morning came, Santa brought his gifts and I was off making a turkey for dinner. Though my organization provided me some sanity, I still was too busy to even sit for a minute to play crazy 8's or Yahtzee with my kids. I ask myself, how did this happen? I thought I had all my ducks in a row so that I would be able to spend the morning with the kids and make many happy memories.

During 2010, I am going to learn from others. I tend to feel that effort is synonymous with outcome. Another words, you will get out what you put in to something.

For example: I baked dozens of cookies for therapists and teachers as my way of "showing" them my gratitude. The time involved was incredible, but I wanted them to understand my feelings. Again, my extreme effort would equate to an understanding of how indebted I am to them for helping my child, right? WRONG! I learned that writing a note (which I attached to all the homemade cookies) was what made the impact. A box of store bought chocolate would have sufficed as long as that very personal note was attached.

Lesson learned...buying from the store is okay - the effort was in the personal note, not so much in the time spent baking cookies. Another lesson, there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Did you happen to see the movie Julie and Julia? It was about a girl who began a daily blog about recipes she tried off of Julia Child's Cookbook. She (Julie, the character) actually tried a new recipe each day for a year. So I was thinking I would do something similar. Beginning today, each new post will be about the words I savor from my autistic son. As a baby and toddler, we never knew if he would ever be able to communicate and when he finally broke through, it is in these words that I savor each syllable.

Savor Each Syllable - January 3, 2010
Picking up the handheld mirror in the bathroom:
[son] "I see my eraflection, mom!"
"You mean your reeflection?", I say
[son] "yes, my reeflection" "
"What do you see?", I asked
[son]"My face."
I didn't even realize that my son knew the word, reflection, much less use it in a sentence correctly. I laughed at his answer, but thought it might be good to start off with, given the New Year. What do I see when I look at my reflection? What do you see when you look at yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment